I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback from my “A Happy Life” post last week (if you missed it, you can read it here). I love when my blog strikes a chord with people, and I love it even more when they take the time to let me know their thoughts.
One person in particular really touched my heart. Remember my Auntie Carol? I’ve written about her before, and about the special role she plays in my life. Well, she lives on a farm in rural Eastern Alberta, just outside of the teensy town where I was born. I spent much of my childhood time on her farm, and it’s the setting of some of my fondest memories.
Following my post, she sent me a list of the things that make her happy. This list was something she’d been working on for a few weeks she said, scribbled on a notepad by the computer. Just jotting down happiness thoughts, not for a blog or for Facebook, or for an article….. just for herself. She shared her list with me, and has given me permission to share it with you. You see, our lives are thousands of miles apart and our day-to-day activities could not be more different, but what struck me about her list was the simplicity of it.
“Yes,” I thought, as I read it. I nodded along to every point. I think it’s the simple things in life that bring joy to all of us.
Here’s her list. I hope it inspires you to make one of your own:
- The awesome song of meadowlarks
- ‘Explores’ in the coulee with the grandchildren
- The tickle in my finger from a newborn calf’s suckle
- Eating fresh peas from the vine
- Tobogganing in the coulee
- Watching the kids jumping bales with the dog
- Friends stopping in for coffee
- The taste of raspberries off the bush
- Canada Geese flying low over the house
- Baby calves running around in the corrall in the evenings
- Watching the kids slipping and sliding down the slope of the lawn
- Enjoying the spring bouquet of crocuses that my husband picks for me
- Playing ‘hide and seek’ on 4-wheelers with the grandkids
- Kids helping me make homemade pizza
- Fresh corn on the cob
- Coffee and cold drinks on the deck with my daughter-in-laws
- Hauling bales on a beautiful October afternoon
- Decorating cookies in ‘Grandma’s kitchen’
- The peace and tranquility of my 6am gardening
- Trips to the pasture at Sounding Lake
- The wonder of fresh rows popping up in the garden
- I feel so Lucky and Blessed to be living in my beautiful ‘little corner of the world’!!
Me too, Auntie Carol, me too.